BICUTAN, TAGUIG CITY – The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines (NAST PHL) will hold the 2022 National Science and Technology Week (NSTW) Outstanding Research and Development Award (ORDA) Virtual Paper Presentation of Finalists on September 30, 2022, Friday, at 9:00 AM. This year, seven (7) selected entry papers from different institutions will vie for the highly coveted awards for Basic Research and Applied Research.The finalists and their entry paper for presentations are:
I. For Applied Research (Julian A. Banzon Medal)
1. Pia Marie S. Albano, Ph.D., University of Santo Tomas – Predicting likelihood of cancer with artificial intelligence tools using FTIR signals obtained from tumor samples
2. Christopher C. Cabusora, M.S., Philippine Rice Research Institute – New rainfed-drought rice variety developed through in vitro mutagenesis
3. Ian A. Navarrete, Ph.D., Southern Leyte State University – Bioaccumulation and human health risk assessment of chromium and nickel in paddy rice grown in serpentine soils
II. For Basic Research (Eduardo A. Quisumbing Medal)
1. Doralyn S. Dalisay, Ph.D., University of San Agustin – Unlocking the potential of Philippine marine sediment-derived actinobacteria in drug discovery
2. Katherine Ann C. Israel, Ph.D., University of the Philippines Los Baños – ‘Saba’ banana (musa acuminata x balbisiana BBB group) peel pectin supplementation improves biomarkers of obesity and associated blood lipid disorders in obese hypercholesterolemic mice
3. Drandreb Earl O. Juanico, Ph.D., Technological Institute of the Philippines – Predictive chromatography of leaf extracts through encoded environmental forcing on phytochemical synthesis
4. Severino G. Salmo III, Ph.D., University of the Philippines Diliman – Seagrass biomass and sediment carbon in conserved and disturbed seascape.
The NSTW ORDA is an award of the Department of Science and Technology being institutionalized by NAST PHL. It is given to individual/group who have made outstanding contributions to science and technology through research.
The Board of Judges is being chaired by National Scientist Lourdes J. Cruz with members National Scientist Raul V. Fabella, Acd. Rhodora V. Azanza, Acd. Ruben L. Villareal, Acd. Angel L. Lazaro III, Acd. Jaime C. Montoya, and Engr. Alex Sy.
The winners of the awards will receive plaques of recognition, corresponding medal, and a cash prize of P200,000.Access the registration link through https://bit.ly/2022ORDAVPP. The event will also be broadcasted on the NAST PHL Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/nastphl).